Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Monday, October 6, 2008

He did it!

It is with mixed emotions that I write this blog. Rafe FINALLY played in his soccer game tonight and, unfortunately, my camera was at home :( I knew this would happen. For those of you that don't know it has been quite comical each game. We went from saying we were going to play, to just "warming up" with the team, to only running through the tunnel to get his snack. Everyone had completely quit asking Rafe if he wanted to play. We all knew the answer. Well, something must have been in the air tonight. Rafe and his buddy, Carter, both played! I know this is wrong, but Cory and I had bribed Rafe with everything we could think of to get him to just STAND on the field. We weren't asking for much, just stand out there! As the season is starting to wind down it hit Rafe that he did not have the trophy he is looking so forward to getting. I told Rafe he needed to at least attempt to play or he might not get a trophy. So tonight we started talking to him about it during the game. I could tell he was at least listening to what we were saying, unlike the other nights. Well, next thing I knew he was guarding the goal with Gram right beside him (whatever it takes!!) I tried not to just jump out of my seat in excitement (which is what I wanted to do) so I just gave him a thumbs up at first. Next thing I knew he not only started running down the field, but he KICKED the ball two times. He was in the middle of all the action. Well, I could no longer contain myself. I started screaming and cheering so loud for him. This was a big deal for ALL of us! I was in complete shock.

Unfortunately the game only lasted about 5 minutes after Rafe went in, but it was a big starting point for him. After the game Cory and I told him he could choose where he wanted to eat supper (Moes, of course). Next we found out how Gram had convinced Rafe to play - she gave him money. He immediately took his money and started thinking about what he wanted to buy at Target. After Moes we quickly went to Target for Rafe to pick out his prize. Cory and I had already discussed how you just never know what Rafe will choose when he has endless choices. We came out of Target with a dancing cow that "Moo's" Jingle Bells. This is typical Rafe!

So, as I write this, Rafe is in the bed probably listening to his cow over and over and I am filled with so much pride. We made HUGE progress tonight. I just hope it continues on Thursday when I will have both cameras with me!

No comments: